When it comes to drowsy drivers, we seek maximum recovery one case at a time
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, drowsy driving caused 72,000 crashes in 2013. This resulted in 800 fatalities and 44,000 injuries that year. However, the Centers for Disease Control says these statistics are drastically underestimated, and projects drowsy driving is responsible for up to 6,000 fatal motor vehicle accidents each year. When a person puts other motorists’ lives at risk by driving while drowsy, victims are free to pursue financial compensation for the inevitable injuries that result. The seasoned North Dakota accident attorneys at the Larson Law Firm, P.C. fight for your rights by seeking compensation for the pain and injuries you have suffered.
Effects of drowsy driving
Driver fatigue and drowsy driving have serious effects on driving, including causing the following:
- Inattention: Drowsy drivers are not able to focus as much attention on the roadway and any potential hazards ahead of them.
- Delayed reaction time: If the driver suddenly needs to brake or steer, it will likely take longer to execute these actions.
- Judgment: Lack of sleep is linked with an inability to make good decisions.
- Increased likelihood of falling asleep: Drowsy or fatigued drivers are more likely to fall asleep at the wheel, increasing the likelihood that the driver will crash into another driver or a fixed object.
Drowsy or fatigued driving can contribute to very serious accidents. Such accidents may result in the need for ongoing medical treatment and significant periods of time off of work. If you have suffered such economic damages, speak to an experienced North Dakota accident lawyer to find out about the legal options available to you.
Causes of drowsy driving and driver fatigue
While there are many reasons why drivers may be tired, some of the most common include:
- Lack of sleep
- Impairment caused by drugs or alcohol
- Night shift work
- Untreated sleep disorders
- Breaking hours of service requirements for commercial drivers
Through formal and informal discovery methods, our personal injury attorneys thoroughly investigate the factors that led up to the accident. This assessment helps pinpoint the underlying causes of the accident and establishes liability. In personal injury terms, the defendant’s conduct is weighed against what a reasonable person would have done under similar circumstances. Jurors and insurance adjusters can consider what they would have done in the same situation and will likely conclude that they would have opted not to drive in order to avoid a preventable car accident. This careful analysis strengthens your legal position and places you in a better position to negotiate a fair settlement.
Call today for a free consultation with an experienced North Dakota accident attorney
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident caused by a drowsy driver, we can help you recover compensation for the injuries you sustained. Contact the skilled North Dakota accident lawyers at the Larson Law Firm P.C online or call 701-484-HURT to schedule a free case evaluation. We represent accident victims throughout North Dakota and Northwest Minnesota.