Seeking full and fair restitution for injured bicyclists
For North Dakotans, cycling is a favorite outdoors activity and is a great form of exercise. However, riding a bicycle on busy streets is risky and bicycle accidents cause serious injury and fatalities. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported that in 2014, 50,000 bicyclists were injured and 726 bicyclists were killed in bike crashes involving motor vehicles.
Injuries from a bicycle accident drastically change the quality of your life. As a result, you can’t ride your bike or participate in your favorite physical activities due to debilitating pain and suffering. Our North Dakota bicycle accident attorneys at Larson Law Firm, P.C. understand the devastating financial burdens you face due to expensive medical bills. As your strongest legal allies, we are committed to giving your case our full attention and recovering maximum compensation for your injuries.
Causes of bicycle accidents in North Dakota
Bike crashes with motor vehicles commonly occur due to distracted driving, driving while under the influence of alcohol, or excessive speeding. Other common bicycle accident scenarios include:
- A vehicle doored the bicyclist – the passenger or driver suddenly opens the door and hits the cyclist with the door
- Driver turns right in the cyclist’s path of travel
- Motorist turns left at an uncontrolled intersection
- Cyclist rides against traffic and gets hit
- Driver or cyclist does not stop or yield
When working with our North Dakota bicycle accident attorneys, we always have your best interest at heart. If you or a family member was injured in a cycling accident, reach out to us today for legal assistance and support.
Safety tips to prevent bicycle accidents
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), bicyclists face a higher risk of crash-related injury and deaths compared to motor vehicle occupants. In 2013, over 900 bicyclists in the United States were killed and there were more than 400,000 emergency department visits due to bicycle-related injuries.
Safety comes first when riding a bicycle. If you are an inexperienced cyclist, make sure you feel comfortable riding in heavy traffic. Start slowly and ride your bicycle around in your local neighborhood before you venture out on long-distance rides. Before hitting the North Dakota roadways, follow these additional bike safety tips below.
- To prevent head injuries, always wear a helmet. A helmet should fit snugly but still feel comfortable on your head.
- To avoid being doored, ride with your handlebars at least three feet away from parked vehicles
- Always follow traffic signs and laws
- Ride in designated bike lanes and don’t swerve in between moving or parked cars
- Avoid drinking or taking prescription medication before riding a bicycle
- Before you hit the road, perform a maintenance check to make sure tires, brakes, and chains aren’t damaged and are in safe working condition.
Count on our skilled North Dakota bicycle accident lawyers to assist you with the legal process
At Larson Law Firm, P.C. we understand the emotional and painful toll accident injuries can have on your life. If you were injured as a result of a bicycle accident, call us today at 701-484-HURT or fill out the secure form online.